Wednesday, April 27, 2005

YOU'RE SHITTING ME

I was standing outside of the Louis XIV show with my friend Leslie and her friend and she mentioned that Constantine performed a Nickleback song on American Idol. I couldn't believe it and instead of going to the LXIV after party at Happy Endings, i decided to hop on my bike and race back home to see this! WHAT THE FUCK?! NICKLEBACK?! His performance isn't on yet, but I can't wait to see this.

This news come as a great distress to me. He was my favorite contestant because:

1. I feel like he's the most self-aware contestant in AI history. He understand his audience, but gets how to still push the envelope.

2. He actually appears to like music and have a good idea of it's history. For example, he performed "I Think I Love You" by the partridge family (a totally underrated song, imho), and queen's "bohemian rhapsody." sure, ok, he didn't perform like, joy division or guided by voices, but like, still, i'm not sure the others would even know those artists. for real. i think they know whitney houston, r.kelly, and that's it. apart from Bo, whom i think only listens to southern rock.

3. he knew that he and bo were too much alike so he went the total different way ... instead of being like a scott stapp copy, he went for the michael hutchense thing.

ok... but then comes this week and i'm thinking that maybe i was totally wrong.

Constantine, with me, you can get to the end. You can make it. Please, email me next time you need a song to play. Listen, i can make phone calls... even if you dont think you can get clearance, i will place some calls to some peple and make it happen. i got johnny marr to approve my usage of "please, please, please let me get what i want" when i auditioned (i'm not shitting you, he actually said i could use it), i can figure out what i need to do for you.

The theme of this week, for anyone wondering, was "2000 - Now" ... meaning any song released after 2000.

Here are simply 10 songs that I feel are better than that Nickellback song (i picked songs based on if they were a radio hit, but started out as an underground song... which exception to kelly clarkson... sadly, i dont think muse or radiohead fit the criteria):

1. The Killers - Mr. Brightside (He could've showed range with "Open up my eager eyes/cause i'm mr brightside")
2. Coldpaly - Clocks, or whatever that other good song was.
3. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
4. The Strokes - Last Night
5. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
6. Jimm Eat World - The Middle
7. Postal Service - Such Great Heights. this is fox. kids who watch fox watch the OC and will know and love this song.
8. My Chemical Romance - Helena (WHAT'S THE WORST THAT I CAN SAAAAAAY THINGS ARE BETTER OFF THIS WAAAAAY. SO LONG AND GOOD NIGHT, SO LONG AND GOOOODNIGHT!)
9. Von Bondies - C'mon C'mon ... no range, but like, a totally great song
10. Dashboard Confessional - Vindicated

EDIT: i should add Phantom Planet - California... i forgot that one. There are SO MANY others that i'm forgetting. fuck. i dont have my ipod near me for reference. plus, i'm trying to stick to a criteria of popular rock radio songs that started out indie.

Yo, emo has so many songs with great range.

OK, the above list could be way better... but that's what i'm giving over right now.

What would you suggest?

No comments: